FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:07 am
pa3lsvt

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hi everyone, quick question for people who may have experience with this situation.

My SO and I have Nexus and we moved to a new address about 6 months ago. When we moved, we updated our mailing address online but did not go to a Nexus enrollment center to update our residential address (nearest one is a few hours of driving away).

We are departing for a trip to the USA in a week so we are thinking we should have this all squared up before we go, but based on my experiences at the border and reading stories online I know they are really strict about anyone who doesn't follow the rules to the letter and I am worried we might have issues since we delayed updating our home address by 6 months. Is there a chance we could get our cards revoked when we show up at the enrollment center to change our address?

The closest enrollment center to us is in Port Huron on the US side. Would it be wise for us to drive the extra few hours to go to one on the Canadian side instead (either YYZ or Niagara Falls)?

Or is this a non-issue and I shouldn't worry about waiting 6 months to update my address after moving?

EDIT: For posterity, I realized that the Nexus terms state you only have to update your residential address if it affects your eligibility in the program (eg. moving to a different country). I called to double-check and they confirmed that as long as I've updated my mailing address online (which I did when I moved) I don't have to go in to update my residential address.
You'll be fine. I moved in July 2017, and updated our mailing addresses (my NEXUS and her GE) in GOES right away. I wasn't able to get into an enrollment center for over a year to update our residential addresses, which cannot be done online and requires an in person update. I had used NEXUS 6 times or so in the meantime with no problem (and GE on the way home as well). Even had one crossing at a land POE.

When I finally had a chance to go in to the YYZ T1 center, they took me as a walk-in quickly. I mentioned to the CBSA officer about how it had been over a year, she told me that what we did was fine. She even noted that it wasn't uncommon for someone that lived so far from an enrollment center to take so long to get the in-person update. According to her, the fact that I updated our mailing addresses online was the key as it showed I wasn't ignoring my responsibility to keep our info updated.

I should also note that our new address did not effect our eligibility, as I just moved from one PHL suburb to another.