FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:20 pm
YYT82

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am surprised to see you approached this as a legal claim under air transport regs?
I don't know these regs well, but I do know that AC denies all legal claims!
In the alternative, I would have have approached this as a goodweill issue?
Also, given the duration of the delay, I am very surprised there was no announcement about what to expect?
Air Canada denies only legal claims for which they are not obliged to compensate. If your claim is deemed valid under the legal requirement (for example, EC261/2004), AC pays. The trouble with the Canadian air passenger protection regulation is that it gives airlines lots of ways out, so it really is an empty bill with the exception of IDB compensation.

You are correct in suggesting fellow passengers approaching delay claims from a goodwill perspective. You either get eCoupons or you get 15% off discount codes.

For TATL itineraries, I've always preferred taking European registered carriers eastward and AC westward. That way both TATL flights are covered under EC261/2004 and even connections after the westward TATL flight are covered under the same regulation, unless you take a VDB.