FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chasing Legends in Ireland, London & Portugal via TAP Portugal & BA Business Class
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:48 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Aloft Dublin
Urban Double Double
Larger Guest Room
2 Double

I decided that we’d stay at the Aloft Dublin during our stay in the city. The paid rate for this “bank” holiday weekend in the United Kingdom put rates up to 268€ per night. As a result I decided that points were a better value. At a category 4 property, I redeemed 25,000 Marriott Bonvoy points, per night. We had two nights here on arrival into Ireland, and one night on departure with our last night in Europe. The property is located a short 10 minute walk from town in a more residential area of Dublin. This was actually welcomed to be situated just out of the noise and partying of Temple Bar District, where staying would have been a louder experience.

After we collected our bags, we ended up taking the group bus into town. The original plan was to take a taxi from the airport into town, but the effective marketing around the arrivals area for the tourist bus won us over and we opted for a 7€ per person trip into town. We ended up getting off at Christchurch Cathedral.

We took a 15 minute walk with our luggage through the city streets down to the Aloft. After a few back alleys, we made it to the Aloft.

The aLoft appears to be a reconstructed building on top of an older pub, which can be seen in white below. On arrival, we were informed at ground level by the bell captain that check in was on the 7th floor. We took the elevators up where we checked ourselves in.

The lobby was a cool space situated on the 7th floor. The lobby had great windows and the bar had a nice view over the surrounding area. It was a nice change from the usual dark Aloft lobbies that I have previously experienced.

Great view from this space…

There were also iMac computers off the lobby available to guests.

We then led ourselves down to #514, an Urban Double Double. This was a soft Platinum upgrade to best available room. It was a nice larger room and a nice room for an upgrade as far as Alofts’ go; by far the largest Aloft room I’ve ever stayed in.

There was a work space desk that overlooked the student building complex next door.

There were also the usual simple coffee services in the room.

Like other Aloft’s, the room featured art of a local feature. This feature was of the center piece at Trinity College.

We had a very nice large shower and bathroom.

Our stay was comfortable and quiet. It was nice to be away from the hollering and shenanigans and freeways.

At the check in counter, I opted for the Platinum breakfast option and we got our 4 coupons for breakfasts. Breakfast here was a full continental breakfast option.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay here. Although it was not right in the middle of town, the Aloft met our needs for everything that we could have asked for. Using points here was a great option during the days of our stay an the soft upgrade to the larger room was greatly appreciated.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Jan 19, 2020 at 11:13 am