FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2020-2021]
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:11 pm
pseudoswede
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Saturday, January 4
UA2370 MCO-DEN

At T-24, I volunteer myself, wife, and kids on the app. The Sunday 6am flight was looking especially tempting since it was a 752 with four F seats still available.
At T-75 (minutes), I approach the gate, the GA said they are currently over by one. Doesn't take my BP or anything.
About 20 minutes later, another GA gets on the PA and asks for a volunteer. $500 and take the very next flight (7:35pm flight which was already 2-hours delayed). I ran up to the podium even before she finished the announcement.
She takes my BP and tells me to wait until boarding is almost complete. I also tell her that if she needs more people, my family is willing to wait.
My family boards, I keep the roll-aboard carry-on just in case I'm stuck overnight.
Some jerk misses the cutoff, and I board.
I was shocked at how empty most of the overhead bins are. FA just tells me to stick my carry-on in any available F bin.

Oh what could've been....

I'm just annoyed that it appears the GAs ignored the app, as well as my initial request, and simply just went with whomever got to the podium first.