FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Northern India smog and pollution this year
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:13 am
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i posted this in the other thread where you pointed out this problem but i'll post here again since you started a new thread about the subject....

no one is ignoring the pollution problem....you can call it pollution or smog or fog or cold or whatever else you want but its a genuine problem that most cities are trying to deal with....the supreme court has passed a number of judgements to help reduce the pollution, different state governments have implemented policies to counter this problem....but all these things will take time & more effort will have to put in....

fog is just the general term that's been used in this part of the world forever, even when pollution was not a problem....most people here think that fog & smog are two names for the same thing....they know what it is & that its a problem, but they just call it fog....

the reason newspapers are talking about the cold is because this is the coldest winter north india has faced in decades....no one is ignoring the real problem....the pollution problem has been reported to death in the papers & measures are being taken to counter it....the cold weather is just something new for the newspapers to talk about right now....

as a resident of delhi, where pollution is probably at its worst, i am seriously concerned for the safety of my family....i take whatever measures i can to counter it & i am grateful to the courts & the local delhi government who have recognized that this is something they need to fix....the delhi government has taken measures (some stupid & some effective) to reduce pollution levels & a consistent & lengthy effort will have to be put in to bring pollution to acceptable levels....the central government on the other hand has to do a lot more to fix this problem....this is what has been lacking....

at the end of the day, its a serious problem....i would advise people with asthma & weak lungs to not visit this part of the world right now....but its absolutely wrong to say that its not being acknowledged or that its being ignored....