FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seeking traditional ryokan in Hakone
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:55 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by eethan
Summary of last couple posts - OP was looking for a ryokan he stayed several years back, which has since closed.

I have never stayed in a ryokan, but can imagine how it is based on various Japanese dramas I have seen. That's why I'm leaning on staying in something more traditional than another Western-style hotel.

Can anyone recommend a traditional ryokan in Hakone?
I just posted on another thread

Hakone - 1 or 2 nights?

our experience with 2 nights at Gora Hanaougi about 2.5 years ago. It was amazing.

And per this thread and the "tram" question, it turned out that there was a rear entrance that did have a sort of diagonal elevator that would take one down from or back up to one of the public transportation stops. The main entrance, where one could be dropped off by car, did not need that, so we didn't even notice it at first.

But this was higher up, with lovely views across a huge valley.

The various ways that transportation in those hills - and also those near Mount Koya and the Buddhist Monasteries - were managed were very interesting, from fixed incline cable cars (like SF, not hanging) with each row on it's own level (and some *very* steep), to little switchbacks that zig-zagged back and forth up and down, and the conductor/engineer would get out and physically throw the switch to allow the car to take the "next" diagonal. And then there were the hanging ropeways, of course.

GC