FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Currency Controls
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:53 am
anc305

Originally Posted by timbre
I have a mostly curiosity question about the currency controls.

I believe that the Argentinian government has fixed the US Dollar to Arg Peso exchange rate for banks ... meaning that ATM and Credit card transactions are processed at that rate.

I recently attended an event at a hotel ... they quoted me a price in US$ and made me sign a form agreeing to the price. However, when they brought me the bill it was in Arg Pesos ... which, of course, is normal in most countries. However, they used an exchange rate of more than 5% more than the government rate to calculate the amount of Arg Pesos I had to pay. This seems terribly wrong to me. Is this acceptable practice under the government regulations?
This is a comment I made on another thread back in April 2019

Just a note on exchange rates for folks heading down to Argentina. Most hotels are quoted in USD and converted to ARS at time of checkout. The hotels in BA will try to screw you by 2% - 6% on the official rate . They like to make up their own exchange rate. One hotel used 45.5 ARS / $ when the official exchange rate was 43.5 ARS / $. Not a lot you can do. Not a big deal but can add up on a long stay. Remember TIA - This is Argentina. Just factor in the scams and have fun. Still a pretty fair value.

It varies from hotel to hotel. I just want the normal credit card rate. I sent a statement charge from the bus service to EZE on the same day as my hotel checkout to the hotel manager. I asked for nothing but an explanation. He adjusted the charge to reflect the same rate. This was my not my intent. I just do not like being taken advantage of.