FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transiting in Helsinki [HEL]
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:25 am
miamiflyer8

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jcubed_la
I want to book a US flight to LED (with a 2 hour layover in HEL) on American, but AA's site is having technical difficulties with the HEL to LED segment.

So I'm looking at booking the US to HEL on AA and then the HEL to LED on Finnair, which means two separate tickets. I called AA and they said they can't check my bags through on separate PNRs. Since I'm going from non-Schengen to non-Schengen, I know I won't have to go through passport control but will 2 hours be enough time for me to collect my baggage from the inbound flight and re-check it for my outbound flight? (There are at least two more flights later in the day from HEL to LED, so if I can't do it in 2 hours, I have options. I'm just wondering if I should just book one of the later flights instead.)

Thanks.
Since you are collecting bags you will need to go thru immigration at HEL, collect your bags, re-check them and go thru security. You also need to go via exit immigration. Two hours should certainly be doable in my book assuming your inbound is on time.