FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:10 am
Levinas

Thumbs up

Greenwich Hotel New York - stayed during New York Fashion Week when the hotel was at its full capacity. Although I really like the style of the rooms, overall this hotel was not impressive. Service at bar was very slow and massage at the spa was just so so. One of the ceiling lights in the bathroom was broken on the second night but never got fixed.
Amangiri - I have mixed feelings about this hotel. Some things about it are excellent and probably unique in the world (the view and the facilities), but there are also some mistakes that should not happen to a hotel of this caliber (departure transfer was late for 30 minutes, one of the tour guides made a racist comment).
Nobu Ryokan Malibu - room and service are excellent, but way too overpriced (US$3k per night for a beach front room of only 50 sqm).
Palace Hotel Tokyo - my second favorite hotel in Tokyo, everything about it from room, service, dining options to spa is top notch. Location is great.
Aman Tokyo - second stay and even better than the first time. My favorite hotel in Tokyo. The sushi restaurant (Musashi) was a bit underwhelming though.
Mandarin Oriental Tokyo - rooms still feel a bit outdated after the refurbishment. Service is impeccable though (even better than Aman).
Ritz Carlton Kyoto - still a fantastic city hotel and one of the best in Kyoto. Location is also very convenient for sightseeing. However, I have stayed many times over the past few years but never got any recognition, so it is probably time to move on and try other newer hotels in Kyoto like PH and Aman.
Suiran Kyoto - not a big fan. The suite has a strange layout, and the open air bath on the terrace faces the hotel entrance which can get noisy.
Mandarin Oriental Beijing - my favorite hotel in Beijing, one of the most beautiful city hotels in the world.
Puxuan Hotel Beijing - room is nice but contrary to what is advertised on their website, you can hardly see the Forbidden City. There was no pool, I was told that it was because of the auction house downstairs and the owner of the building being afraid that a pool might affect the stability of the building.
Bulgari Beijing - one of my favorites in Beijing, excellent service and nice room.
W Taipei - not sure whether this qualifies as luxury in this forum. Have stayed once when it just opened and this is the second stay, everything has gone downhill.