FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:44 am
narvik

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by droopydog
Most of the discussion in this thread has been Polaris/International meals. Most of my flights are domestic and I have seen a significant decline in the domestic first meals. I am really not that picky, but the recent meals are awful. The kale/egg pastry thing: tasteless, horrible texture, ghastly tomato sauce - like eating shredded cardboard; the egg panini with bread so hard you need an axe to cut into it (but not having an axe, you bite into it and because it is so hard everything inside shoots out the sides); the buffalo chicken disaster. I am now just asking, can I have a hamburger from the back, or eating before I board. Or, I flew Delta and was surprised at how much better the domestic first meal was.

UA will ultimately gross out its customers enough so they book away from UA (if the other airlines don't decline to same abysmal levels also), and maybe then they'll realize that they have to spend the extra $0.67/meal to buy better ingredients and provide better presentation.
Of course, you also have the FA issue to deal with, which I am sure by now they've have all got accustomed to even less work by streamlining the slop-delivery process in-flight.

Kirby maybe already envisaging a food & beverage trough delivery system for 2020: an automated conveyor-belt type system that follows down the aisle from front to back. Anything uneaten ends up directly in the rear lav and can be flushed away. Could potentially save an additional FA!