FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the best way to use Aeroplan miles these days?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerGoldII

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by wjw
Yeah my problem tends to be that my non-work flights are typically Kazakhstan, which requires 80k for a round trip Y. I can book that flight for as little as $1,200 round trip taxes in. So, yes, using 85k to get $1,000 means I’m a little behind the 8-ball, but once you factor in taxes and fees and the fact I can actually earn miles on the reward trip it kind of cancels out.

One thing is availability of J (or F) class award tickets.

Unless one is SE, it is very difficult to get such tickets on AC - esp inter-continental/trans-oceanic flights.

For non AC flights, business class used to be easy enough a few years ago in UA (even between mainland and Hawaii). Not anymore.
Thai seems to be good in terms of relatively long intra-Asia seat availability, even in business class

I was able to get relatively easy business class for 2 flights on AI next month for Delhi-Goa and Goa-Mumbai.