FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo: Conrad vs The Okura - help me pick
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:17 pm
od_sf

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Anyone can visit a sumo beya and no reservation is permitted or required. Some are more welcoming than others for foreigners. It's free but it never hurts to bring a gift of a bottle of nice whiskey for the sensei. Finding a beya can be a bit challenging, but a regular tourist office can help with that (as well as the rules for visitors, such as not pointing the soles of your feet towards the wrestlers). I suspect that policies regarding photos do vary a lot and they may well not be permitted. But you don't need a great concierge to arrange this.

I suggest you consider Musashigawa beya since it is headed by former yokozuna Musashimaru, who is a Hawaiian. Bear in mind that before the three annual tournaments held outside Tokyo,all the beyas decamp to where the tournament will be held. So whether you can do this depends on when you plan to be in Tokyo.
Thanks for the reply Richard. I've timed my visit to take place several weeks before a basho, so practices should be ongoing. And I have already read up on beya etiquette and have looked at the most visitor friendly options in Tokyo, so Musashigawa beya is already on my radar.

I will want to rely on the concierge mostly to confirm that photography is allowed (it is at most beya, but of course flash photography and loud shutters are not), as photographing practice is the main goal of my visit to the stable(s). Also, the concierge will need to help me verify practice is taking place on the day I want to visit and confirm time for beginning of practice on that day, as apparently practice schedules can fluctuate from day to day. Sure, a great concierge is not necessarily needed to complete these tasks, but having a good concierge assisting with this will certainly make it easier for me.