FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2017-2019).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:20 am
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by moe8555
Yeah, my take on the credit has always been that it's best for a secondary airline that you may fly irregularly and lack status with. And let's face it, a little research in "creative" ways to use the credit goes a long way.
A lot of the creative ways are no more.

And yes, I will be using one of my credits (have Plat and Aspire) for my primary airline (AS) for premium seats and/or drinks. As a free agent, I have multiple secondary airlines (AA, UA, and DL) and don’t really know yet which ones I will fly this year. I will probably pick Delta since they have extended leg room seats I could pay for (no status) while I’d get E+ for free on United (MM Gold status).

A helpful compromise between the current reimbursement scheme and the CSR-style any-travel-counts approach for me would be if your incidentals reimbursement wasn’t restricted to a single airline.