FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finding First or Business awards to Europe
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:08 am
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've often felt that Condor provided good value in terms of miles earned and cost of ticket for their cheaper business class fares. I haven't flown them -- some people complain about the product; others are fine with it. It's angled lie-flat.

For Greece you may want to consider Emirates it you don't mind spending the miles (105k for business one-way; 180k for F). The good thing is you will be in a real business class product all the way. With any other partner (except IcelandAir) you are going to be stuck in euro-business (econ with blocked middle seat) when you connect past the hub.

IcelandAir is a very comfortable recliner (sort of halfway between a premium economy and business class product). I flew it all the way to Helsinki (the product does not change on the intra-europe leg) and honestly I liked it, but people do like to complain. If you require a lie-flat to sleep well, it's not for you. There are also carrier surcharges, which is a deal-breaker for me on award tickets. That also means that BA is out for me for award tickets.

So if you want a true lie flat with no carrier surcharges, that leaves you with Emirates, Finnair, AA, or Aer Lingus (actually I'm not sure what the Aer Lingus product is so I could be wrong there). And I would stay away from AA right now; that airline is just a train wreck.

Personally I feel that the real value in the AS program is to earn miles flying to Europe and redeem them flying to Asia. JL, CX, and KE provide better value for redemptions than any European partner as far as I'm concerned, but it depends on your travel patterns. There's not much value there if you don't want to go to Asia!

Last edited by VegasGambler; Dec 31, 2019 at 8:34 am