FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Benefits at Courtyard
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:40 pm
yyzflyer

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by JBord
First sentence is a very good point. A few such properties in the US and quite a few internationally. Most of the US properties in larger cities.

I don't know that elite recognition needs to be improved. It's definitely not as good as the higher-end brands, but I don't think it's meant to be. We know what we're getting when we book a CY. I'd love to see more benefits at every brand, but Marriott makes it's business decisions and we make consumer decisions.

What I will say, is when there's a CY and a FS/Ren/Westin etc. near each other in a large city, they CY is usually not a significantly lower price. I'll book one of the full-service hotels in that case. But in some small town or suburb, where my choice is CY, a bunch or no-name hotels, and maybe a Hyatt Place, RI, or HGI, I'll book the CY. I'm sure Marriott realizes where a lot of these properties are located and believes they have the right mix of benefits for the brand.
With apologies for a double-negative, I don't disagree with your key point comparing Courtyards to full-service properties - especially when it comes to pricing. (A location I like to stay a couple of times a year has a Courtyard and JW a block from each other, with often the only difference being parking options and their cost.) However, if faced with the choice between a Courtyard and Springhill (for example) in close proximity, there's usually a price difference in favor of the Springhill where one also gets free breakfast. The actual accommodations are quite similar depending on the age of the property. The only benefit to paying more at the Courtyard is the somewhat inconsistent $10 food coupon. That's why I think if you're paying more, as an Elite you should actually receive more for your money.