FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:01 am
Strawb

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Strawb
Need some advice please. Was charged £90 to check two bags yesterday for our LHR-LAX (see post 1189). I was most surprised when agent informed me that my Sapphire status does not entitle me to free checked bags. She checked with her supervisor who confirmed the same. They told me there had been a lot of confusion recently with Basic Economy and they had been retrained.

I booked this itinerary based on the fact that I thought I would be entitled to free bags. Looking at the baggage rules on aa.com and it looks like they have excluded free bags for Elite member flying Transatlantic Basic Economy. Can someone confirm if that has changed recently?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Agent told me to pay and make a claim later if I wanted to dispute (which I will do) - I would never have booked Basic Economy if I had known free bags on Transatlantic flights were excluded for oneworld Elite members.
Update: contacted AA on twitter requesting a refund of the bag fee and 24hrs later they refunded me the full £90 fee. Good result and I am more than satisfied with my Basic Economy experience on AA from LHR-LAX-LIH. Had a great crew, very friendly and proactive on our flight to LAX, with a full flat bed (4 middle seats) in Main Cabin Extra for each of us, and no charges for checked bags! Great customer service from AA on Twitter.