FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:49 am
livefromtuscany
formerly vienna-resident

Wow, typing this up I realize the list is much longer than expected… my mind must have stored away the not-so-great ones.

Sofitel, Frankfurt C - brand-new and located in the middle of the city, but the hotel has zero atmosphere, bad design and several service issues. Back to Villa Kennedy next time.

TOP Hotel Hochgurgl, Austria B+ I only go skiing once a year, so I want ski-in/ski-out and snow guaranteed, and a hot outside pool. They delivered, and F&B was surprisingly good, but sadly the rooms and bathrooms really need updating.

Mandarin-Oriental, HKG A There might be newer and more modern options, but this property just has so much character, so I keep returning. Staff is constantly great.

Amanoi, Vietnam, A+ Second visit, and so much better than the first one. Nothing to fault, perfect pavilions, great F&B, excellent service, great management.

Amanjena, Marrakech A+ Third visit, another Aman gem with excellent service, F&B and my all-time favourite GM and constant inspiration.

Eden, Rome A- Great rooms and hardware after the renovation, sadly a few service lapses like forgotten turndown service. Would return for lack of alternatives.

Ritz-Carlton, Vienna A Still best value for money in the 5-star segment in Vienna, but unfortunately rooms are beginning to show their age and carpets, curtains are due a refresh. F&B very good, I like the new lobby bar/restaurant concept.

Kempinski, Vienna C Wanted to try something different, but ugh. Did not like the rooms at all, so dreary and depressing. Tour groups and loud Easter European guests made the breakfast feel like at a Holiday Inn.

Amankila, Bali A+ Second visit, another Aman gem with a great GM. Can’t fault anything, and that iconic pool will always hold a special place in my heart.

Grand Hotel Fasano, Lake Garda B- Needed something close to the open-air concert location, so this was more a choice out of convenience. Great location on the lake, but too big, and public areas can’t cope with the number of guests.

The Langham, Chicago A Have to say, I like this hotel a lot. Very good staff, beautiful rooms and nice views. Be sure to get river view, I had booked a suite and downgraded because the side view goes to a parking deck.

Vila Joya, Portugal A+ Same procedure as every year, and I still love this place. It’s small (20 rooms), right on the ocean and has just amazing F&B. One of my favorite hotels in the world.

The Fontenay, Hamburg A New, beautiful hotel, in a quiet area near the Alster. No expense was spared in construction and FF&Es. Not perfectly my style - a bit too sleek and modern.

Amanzoe, Greece A- First visit after reading so many rave reviews, and again it confirms that the Aman philosophy doesn’t work that well in Europe. Too many service lapses, annoying little things really, and I really found the car shuttle to the beach tedious.

Glenapp Castle, Scotland A+ One of the highlights of our Scotland trip, just as I had imagined staying in a castle. Excellent food, beautiful homely ambiance, and an eccentric Austrian blue-blooded hunting party wearing black-tie made for perfect entertainment.

Cromlix House, Scotland B While we did like the hotel and the F&B in the restaurant, we found the atmosphere in the restaurant more resembling a company cafeteria than a Michelin starred restaurant. And it was cold in there.

The Torridon, Scotland A- Stunning setting in what feels like the most remote point of Scotland. Loved hiking around Loch Torridon, to come back for afternoon tea by a roaring fire. Excellent meals, and amazing cute little bar. Some minus points for the outdated bathrooms and the Home Depot shower stall.

The Fife Arms, Braemar, Scotland A- Loved the style of this hotel and the rooms. Completely renovated by Swiss art gallery owners, the places combines traditional Scotland with modern art. Minus points only for the lack of variety in the restaurant (small menu, same every day).

The Dunstane Houses, Edinburgh, Scotland C While we love boutique hotels, this was too much of it. When we checked in, there was 1 (!) staff member to handle check-in, luggage and service in the bar/restaurant. Poor girl. And while the website suggested this being in a quiet residential neighborhood, there is a very busy road outside, which in combination with the historic old windows made for very noisy nights.

Baur Au Lac, Zurich A- Very nice now with the renovations complete. Bright, comfortable rooms, although some can be very noisy. Excellent service at breakfast. Did not care for the new french-style Baur’s restaurant, food underwhelming. I still prefer it over the Dolder, it’s just so much better located. Will try the new La Reserve Eden Au Lac next time.

There would be some more to list in Tuscany, but as these were mainly to research the competition, I prefer not to feature them here