FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:49 pm
mbutler

Programs: Accor Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac - A+

I will start by saying that I'm a bit biased with this one as I'm staying here +/- 20 nights per month - Amazing Fairmont Gold team with solid hard product (except the size of the bathrooms, but that's what you get in an old castle). Being there so often, everyone knows me, they prepare my room (always the same one) the way I like and keep my luggage between stays and clean my clothes in the meantime. Every time I go to the lounge, I get a glass of lemon water without asking (part of my diet). IMO, Fairmont Gold at the Chateau is the best place you can stay in Quebec City.

Fairmont Chateau Laurier - B+

Renovated rooms on Gold are very comfortable as you would expect of that product in an old castle but the lounge is small and boring and the service is just okay. Strangely enough, there isn't much competition around in Ottawa (even being the Capital), so I will return next time I'm in the region but I don't except to be amazed by it.

Ritz-Carlton Toronto - B-

Regular rooms need to be renovated, they do have a nice large bathroom but their beds are just horrible. I've visited a few times and every single time I had to request a room change because I had a broken bed. Service is great but not mind-blowing. Will go back to try the new renovated club rooms which looks quite nice on photos, but will not stay in their regular rooms until they renovate.

The Phoenician Residences - A

This is pure vacation for us. Having your own private pool outside a large villa where you can park right in front is what we are looking for when we are on vacation. Even when the resort was full, we did not notice it as we had all we needed in our villa and we did not need to go to the public spaces. The villa is in a near great shape but will need to be renovated in a few years. Service was great.

Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain - A

Their new room renovations are really nice and is up to the RC standards. The service is okay but not as dedicated as RC should be. We had a two-bedroom casita suite, which was very private and quite as we had the whole "bungalow". The resort is away from everything but that's what makes its charm. We are here every year so we will most probably come back.

Four Seasons Rancho Encantado - A

Very nice resort. We bought their largest suite (sunset suite) but was the smallest largest suite we've ever stayed in (1100 sqft). Hard product was very comfortable as you expect from a Four Seasons and the large bathroom was very nice. We had an issue with the floor heater and the service recovery was much better than we expected. The service was good but a bit too friendly. We won't be back as we found Santa Fe boring.

Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne - F

Horrible renovations. It feels like they renovated a Courtyard. The carpet is low-quality as well as the bathroom (which was mearly touched). This is unacceptable for a RC at 1057$USD/night. We booked 2 connecting rooms over Christmas and when we got in, there was a humidity smell in one of the room and the carpet was wet. We got moved to a no-view rooms on the 3rd floor, the last connecting available. The carpet around the bed was crusty, looks like something was dropped on it and dried there. When we arrived to our new rooms, they were supposed to have been inspected but yet one room door was left open by the latch and one of the TV was turned facing one of the bed on the two-bed room. This shows they clean their rooms very quickly and there is no quality check. At night, I could hear the freight elevator and what seemed like a metal bin beeing moved, randomly throughout the night, which kept me awake. The adult pool was cold while it was pretty warm the year before. One of the restaurant was closed because it was windy (lol). There is nearly no beach left compared to last year and to top it off, it had many Portuguese Man-of-War laying around, which is one thing you do not want to come into contact with. Shame on the owner to have renovated this hotel at low-cost, thinking we wouldn't notice. Marriott should remove its RC name. After the first night we decided to check out and we won't be back.

Ritz-Carlton Orlando - A-

Great resort and while the rooms are not renovated, the hard product is of very high quality and it is still in very good condition. One of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. The huge TVs (65 inches if not more) were very great and should be the norm at any luxury hotels. The Grande Lakes is a peaceful oasis in a horribly busy Orlando. The reason I'm giving A- is because of the Florida service level (or lack of). They really do not know how to properly serve. In what world is it acceptable for a valet to come from behind, put his arm around my shoulders to point my car and ask if it was the right one? RC valet should always be in front of their guest while addressing them and say: Is this your car Sir? no excuses here but other than the blah service, the rest was great.