FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:00 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Here's a data point on JAL seat selection on an award ticket purchased with AA miles. I did not need to call.

My ticket has an AA flight followed by a JL flight (prime flight codes because it's an award ticket). Once ticketed, I plugged the e-ticket number (001..., not record locator) into the Qatar Airways site. The QR site threw up a modal asking me to enter my email and phone number, which errored out when I did. However, I was able to use the web inspector (developer tools) to remove the modal, which let me see the Amadeus record locator (different from the AA record locator, has numbers in it). If you have access to a JavaScript console for this page, run $(".confirmation-pnr").text() and it should print out a string that includes the record locator.

I took that record locator, plugged it into JAL's Manage My Booking, with the AA flight number of the first flight on the ticket (operated by AA), my last name, and my first name only, though my middle name is also on the ticket it did not work when I included it. I could then pick seats for me and my friend, including the window seats in business blocked for OWS and OWE.

Your mileage may vary. This is an award ticket in business, so there might be differences for revenue or codeshares or itineraries including other airlines.