FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:38 am
behuman

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
luxury boutique, even BB and the dismissal of big properties

2019 was one more year confirming my increasing love for small high end, but not standardized properties with two big dinosaur properties definitely "dead" without glorious funeral, but just to be forgotten with the utmost disdain.

But first the nice surprises:

Bogotá: The Orchids (85 %), less than ten rooms in a very noble old house, very elegant, very boutique. Just facing the famous block with many free museums (not only Botero). Ask for one of the two suites, they are ecclectic.
And have dinner at Leonora Espinosa's restaurant, for some crawling species from the Amazon on a two Michelin star level.

Santiago: Skip the big brands and stay in a Pavillon room at The Aubrey (85 %) and have dinner at top Boragó for the cuisine of the future. Outside of this world.

Puerto Varas (near Puerto Montt) Patagonia on the shores of the Lake with volcano view, fireplace and Relais&Châteaux service: Awa (90 %) (not yet member)

Salzburg: For people enjoying festivals the Blaue Gans (90 %) is a fantastic location and lives up to the reputation of "art hotel". The concierge Mr. Dietmar König is a star.

In Scotland The Torridon (95%) and Cromlix (90%) house are safe bets after the deserved "crashing out" of Inverlochy castle from the Michelin stars and Relais&Châteaux.

In France two big classics, three Michelin stars and nice rooms are always up to date. Georges Blanc 76 years (99%) and Michel Guérard 86 years (100 %). And yes, both men are present and lovely!

Dresden: Stay at the Taschenbergpalais (90%) (aka as Kempinski) one of the few "brand" places I still patronize. Even their Kastenmeiers seafood restaurant is good and the rooms are palatial.

Margaret River (Western Australia), the Cape Lodge (85 %) is still a big classic and a must for wine lovers with the lakefront restaurant and an excellent management, another property which should be Relais&Châteaux, but the Australians think they do not need it:-(.

Finally the "gourmet discovery" of the year: Brae (95%) in Birregurra (Victoria), would say it is the Boragó / Michel Bras of Australia. Next generation cuisine, sustainable and organic much vegetable based. 6 fantastic rooms.

And now the two cadavers in the cellar:

Rio: If you like guests and staff competing for arrogance, total lack of service and respect go to Belmond (wonder what the heck is "bel") Copacabana Palace. You may be much more comfortable and better treated at the Mama Ruisa luxury guesthouse (85 %). I can not stop from thinking that at the Copacabana palace they hate gays. Been there four times, this time it was the last. But please have dinner at Lasai (the most friendly fine dining place of the year) and Oro when in Rio.

Sydney: The Observatory now infamously Langham has become a destination for Asian tourist masses inundating the new buffet formula of the restaurant and an air conditioning in the room that can not be fixed for three days. This said forget Australia altogether at least when there is fire risk, a good moment was as always dinner at Tetsuya's. Sadly noticed also a sharp decline of service standards in the country.

(Other properties in the "luxury dump" to forget forever: Beau Rivage Palace Lausanne, Riffelalp Resort Zermatt, Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg, Grandhotel Giessbach, Brienz to name just a few)

I strongly believe that it is also the clientele that "make" a place and what can please to some, may repulse others.

Happy New Year to all FTalkers!

Last edited by behuman; Dec 28, 2019 at 5:57 am Reason: typo