FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:59 pm
mikew99

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RobotsRock
Resort and hotel fees are bad as they are, but masquerading under a local tax to get away with it feels fraudulent to me. Any similar bait-and-switches on fees at other properties? Is this common?
I recently had a stay at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel in Orlando, and they had added a $1.50 charge (plus tax on $1.50) per night to my bill that was not on the final quoted price. When I questioned this, the front desk agent explicitly stated that it was a "local tax" that was mandated by the county and could not be removed. This explanation sounded suspicious, because it's a rare taxing authority that charges a tax and and then charges a tax on the tax itself. I refused to pay the "tax" and it was removed with "REFUSED TO PAY" stamped all over my bill.

I have no proof, but it's my guess that people are less likely to push back on these hotel fees if the hotel lies to the customer by calling it a "tax." I didn't follow up on the issue further, but it left a bad taste in my mouth after what was otherwise a decent stay.