FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:05 pm
afurlong

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jasonfungsing
I just called United Club. Here is the answer

1. Annual membership can be purchased by only one credit card, payment can not be split into multiple cards.
2. One time pass can contribute to the annual membership fee if the one time pass purchased within 30 days. However, there is a limit of 1 pass and it only contributes $50(not the purchase price which is $59)

So, my solution will become, use part of 2019 $200 to buy 1 one time pass. Then after the new year, call United and purchase an annual membership, which will cost $650-50 = $600. Then Amex will credit back the $200 airline fees, end up paying $600-$200 = $400 out of pocket for the 1st year annual membership.
Two questions:
1. Did you ask United Club how Amex would code the transactions? I'm not being snarky, just trying to get clarity - how confident are you of their answer (particularly point #2 )?
2. Can you clarify your second point? Are you saying that United told you that Amex's reimbursement policy is such that they will only reimburse a maximum of 1 day pass, and only for $50 instead of the full value of $59?

It would seem to me (and what I have just done, will report DP back when I have it) that each Amex Platinum $200 credit should be good for 3 x 1 day pass for a total of $177. Right now they are pending as "United Elec Ticketng"