FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:47 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DC2NYC
Followup: You're right. My ballpark was low- I purchased the initial ticket for ~$950 before add-ons. After my first call to UA tonight, I've discovered that I did indeed buy into normal R, not RN. The CSR offered to strip & reapply the UG for the instant $600 refund & new charge of $450, but insisted that this might negatively impact my overall standing on the "priority" waitlist (just a lofty adj., btw, not actually any priority). Part of me wants to gamble and see if this new R fare plus the reapplied UG buys me any advantage. After all, I'm #12 on a list where only 10 seats are technically even available... & chances could only decrease further as pax bite the bullet and UG for $ at check-in. If it improves my standing, great. If it worsens it, I guess I'll strip it again and prepare to open my wallet to the 1,2K$ charge at check in.
I would take the CSR upon their offer. Time added to the list is a tertiary tiebreaker, at best: status, fare class, then a few miscellaneous categories relating to credit card spending and/or participation in their preferred corporate partner program, and then finally time added to the list.