FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:04 am
Lolauncher

Originally Posted by jsloan
Have you tried taking a look at the upgrade list? If you set a smartphone or tablet to a future date, you can get an idea of what the list looks like (although, it’s somewhat glitchy, as discussed). There will almost certainly be some upgrades, as the current inventory numbers virtually scream “oversold in Economy.” (J9 ... P9 PN0 O0 Y1 B1 M0). The only question is how many members with Premier status are ahead of you.

As for P+ being sold out — it’s a much smaller cabin, and the target market is different: PE is intended to be purchased by well-heeled leisure travelers, not business travelers. A Friday flight right after the holidays? I could easily see people booking into that cabin for a family return to the US.
Thanks for the thoughtful response jsloan
I've had a look at the upgrade list using the app glitch. Being 31st on the list is always reassuring .

But what I am seeing on the upgrade list are people with the same last name in groups of 2-4. Is it fair to assume that these are families with the same PNR applying for upgrades? If my understanding is correct, PNR's with multiple people are usually last to be upgraded since United usually release upgrade space one at a time? Or does this become moot since the PNR would be split at T-24?

Also on a side note did anybody have to call in to reapply an upgrade? After I flew my outbound leg, the waitlisted symbol disappeared from my reservation for the return leg and I had to call in to get it reapplied. It wouldn't let me apply it online. I suspect it has something to do GPU to PP conversion since the flight is next year. Any Ideas?