FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:50 am
Mary2e
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Emotional Support Requirements & Losses

Yes, I have an official emotional support dog. I have a letter from a real psychiatrist who practices in NY, and all the rest of the UA required paperwork. He is an 8 pound non-shedding and hypoallergenic very well behaved lap dog. So hold off on your rants please I did it right and by the book.

What do I lose from my lowly silver status?
  • I can't do online check in - they have to check to make sure the dog is alive (seriously a GA told me that) and that he doesn't weigh 100 pounds.
  • I'm not on the upgrade waitlist and can only be put there at the airport - if there's even an F seat available. Silvers clear at 24 hours, so it's not likely a seat will be available.
  • I MAY not be able to move to an E+ seat, though I'm not sure about that

I flew with him in a carrier and paid my $$$. What I discovered was that he was better behaved than the lap children in front of us, and quieter too. He was actually safer than they were.

So does anyone else know what I'm going to lose? I could split our reservation so at least one of us get some sort of a benefit, but I prefer not to do that so we can put one of us at the window and the other in the middle so as not to run the risk of someone at the aisle being bothered or annoyed by the dog.