FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this wise - Amex travel credits for airlines?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:11 am
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mia
The formal terms of this benefit do not define Incidental air travel fees, and no examples of qualifying expenses are mentioned in the terms (some are mentioning in marketing copy). The terms do list ineligible expenses: Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.

Inasmuch as tickets are explicitly excluded, structuring a transaction in a way that causes the airline to code airfare as an Additional Collection seems to be qualitatively different than a transaction where American Express' system mistook a small payment for a fee. I realize there could be a plausible explanation for this behavior, but I would not expect a sympathetic hearing.
Are you thinking of structuring like this?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31860391-post2552.html

Originally Posted by QuoVadi
12/14: Purchased $256 RT ticket using $50 Delta GC (from last year's benefits) and Amex plat, posted as "additional collection" of $206.
12/18: $200 airline credit posted.
It’s the season of giving, and many will receive the ”ultimate gift” (to steal Marriott’s pitch from a spam email encouraging me to gift travel) of travel gift cards. Bought in grocery stores, Costco, or directly from airlines. And it will be common for the lucky recipient to then later book travel and partially pay with that gift card (basically, replace “from last year’s benefits” in the above post with “from Xmas gift from grandma”).

I find it hard believe that Amex would shut down a customer that is not showing other signs of gaming the system.