FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this wise - Amex travel credits for airlines?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I guess Ben knows a thing or two about exploits (scams). Wonder if he got caught in the AA shutdown.

First of all, gift card credits for the most part are history. And then, buying a gift card with a credit card is a very common thing to do for Amex customers (Amex is pushing their own cards in the Amex Offers). If Amex is posting credit for something that it shouldn’t, how can I control that? Should I be expected to call in and ask them to remove the credit? Their terms say that only certain purchases will be reimbursed. They don’t say that I am not allowed to buy gift cards, cheap flights or cancel flights bought with the credit card. Also, even if they were to assume intentional circumvention of the T&C, it would be several orders of magnitude different from opening a new Citi card every 34 days and collecting signup bonuses for them. I am not worried.

Personally, next year I am likely going to use the credits for 100% legitimate purposes since I am dropping down to MVP on AS (so PE seats and inflight bevs are no longer free).

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 19, 2019 at 1:37 pm