FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this wise - Amex travel credits for airlines?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:04 pm
luv2vacay

Is this wise - Amex travel credits for airlines?

Not sure if this is the proper place, but here goes:

In light of the AA situation (locking accounts/closing accounts) re: Citi (and there's MANY different variants of things that were done), with AA ultimately holding the cards at what can be defined as "abuse", I have to wonder if the same situation can happen with Amex in regards to the Travel credits (airline) with their cards?

I mean we've found that a while back, some gift cards would trigger the credit.
Amex could shutdown everyone as "gaming" the system?
Same thing with the newly developed workarounds.
Rather, Amex (it seems) has figured out a way to read the proper coding of the GC purchases instead, it seems (or perhaps convinced all the airlines like DL/AA to code differently?)

But I'm wondering if "things" like this (loopholes, whatever you want to call them) are wise at this stage, now that we have a precedent for lockdowns/shutdowns (again there's MANY reasons in the AA situation, a few folks seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with "legit" SUBS).

I also know that a few folks got Hilton shutdowns for pooling points as well so I guess that can happen too (ie: P1 gets an Amex SUB, P2 also gets an Amex SUB, both P1 and P2 also purchase max # of Hilton points and then pool them to redeem for a nice expensive hotel stay).

Yes, there's a difference between creating multiple AA accounts, using non-transferrable offers, etc. I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about using things that are "loopholes" and whatnot (I think Ben @ OMAAT may call this "exploiting" the system, I dunno).

Random ramblings I guess, while I ponder upcoming calendar "reset" for my Amex.