FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:57 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Chase earns travel commissions for redemptions made via the portal which softens the blow. For cruise redemptions, those commissions can be substantial.
Correct, it is quite dependent on what travel purchase you redeem for. Flights are most likely the most expensive for Chase, since commissions are usually 3% - 4% of the airfare cost and Expedia takes a cut of that as well.

My takeaway from this is that Chase likely doesn't have to make that many tweaks to make this card profitable; since it's tough to know the spending breakdown, the ways points are redeemed, and the breakage rates, it is quite possible the card is already overall profitable as-is.

However, I still think that 3X points (potentially 4.5% back) on travel and dining + priority pass + marginally useful travel insurance is not competitive for an ultra-premium card any more, and to offer any additional benefits that are actually useful Chase will likely have to cut somewhere else. If they go to an Amex-style breakage-based model, they risk angering the folks who enjoy the simple rewards structure, but maintaining broad, applicable benefits hurts profitability.

Currently, I honestly think that the best course of action for Chase here is to raise the annual fee by $100 and add United Club access (contingent on their co-brand negotiations with UA). If they can pay a similar per-visit amount to UA as to Priority Pass, this will likely end up a wash, and it will make the card feel higher quality than every other card that offers a Priority Pass membership, since the value proposition of Priority Pass (and perception as a premium product) seems to have been severely diluted due to the number of cards that now offer it.