FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How early should I leave NYC (Upper West Side) for EWR?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:58 am
synthkeys

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by stimpy
I am more experienced now, but my first time arriving by Acela I looked at all the signs I was presented walking off the train, upstairs and all around and there is not a single one that points you to the subway. You have to get a good ways from the Amtrak area before you see subway signs. Think of all the great train stations in Europe. There are always signs pointing to the subway/metro when you get off a long distance train. And I didn't know about the post office. I'll have to check that out.
Yeah, it's a very confusing place and signage is terrible and very little customer service to help out confused pax. Although if you ask a regular, they'll help you out although you might need to try more than one person as it's is the kind of place where many are in a rush to get somewhere else.

A lot of inexperienced family and friends living in the suburbs ask me how to take the train into the city via NJT., First thing I say is just drive and park, if they're going to a show or Rockefeller center for the holidays and bringing kids, etc. If they insist, I give them as detailed instructions as to where to sit on the train to be in the right position for the stairways into the station and which way to go to get to either of the subway lines. Invariably, I get a call or text message saying how lost they are and sometimes can't even figure out how to get to the street.

Originally Posted by stimpy
He is all over New York. Lots of people have similar stories. I sat next to him in the Iridium room once, listening to Les Paul.
The Iridium is a cool place, lots of good shows. I'm a jazz head and that's one of the few places to get my live jazz fix in. I used to go to the Les Paul show all the time. I dated a girl whose ex-husband was the piano player in his band and we used to get comp'ed all the time.