FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What does the rate desk do?
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:15 pm
cfischer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by COGal
Hello everyone!

I have been with CO/UA for 20 years, spending the last 15 years as part of the Rate department. We are part of the Reservations division. The things that you describe here are a small part of what we do. There is a lot going on behind the scenes as well. In addition to providing pricing support for all agents, we interpret the Tariff, do all the Round the World bookings and pricing, provide a support line for Travel Agencies. In addition to being proficient on Shares, we handle pricing in Sabre/Amadeus/Apollo/Worldspan and Galileo. We tax all of the Group contracts and when Reservations is extremely busy we step in and assist with all the phone calls.

The position doesn't require a university degree, although I myself have a Bachelor's degree. Just like with any of the other agents we have Rates agents that are incredible, can do the impossible and like me really love the work we do. Like in all employment situations you have some that aren't as knowledgeable as others and do the bare minimum to be productive. I love the work that I do, it has it's moments but overall I wouldn't trade it.
Thanks for the work you do. Often good news when finally 'the rate desk' gets involved because then we usually get what we already figured out was 'possible' ... and just couldn't convince the phone agent to do