FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jameswes
I can't tell you exactly why/how it worked, but I had BE on ORD ->(AA metal) LHR -> XXX and XXX -> LRH ->(BA metal) ORD, all booked through BA and used my AA account (platinum).

For the ORD -> LHR leg I was able to pick seats (but not MCE) either at booking or slightly afterward on AA (can't remember which exactly now)
For the LRH -> ORD leg I was not able to pick seats until check-in.

I'm honestly not sure why/how I got seats on the first leg that was AA operated, but it was very helpful.
Possibly because of below. However as a AA Platinum, you should have been able to pick seats on BA metal flights at booking provided your AA number was properly associated with the BA PNR.

Originally Posted by seawolf
I noticed same as well. It appears when booking a codeshare operated by AA, there is a window between booking and ticketing where one can select seat (or MCE if OWE/OWS) without charge. Once the ticket is issued, AA website then realize this is a BE fare and will no longer allow seat change without fee. Now we’re you able to keep the assignment and flew in it?