FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:40 pm
jameswes

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by potfish
Flying Basic Economy on AA BOS-PHL-LHR (I know, I know, but the cost saving was significant). Ticket was booked on BA.com and the transatlantic leg has a BA codeshare flight number. The return flight is direct on BA. I have AA status.

I know that I am not entitled to any free bags at all due to the ticket being booked on BA and certainly won't get any on the return leg, but wondering if anyone has recent experience of whether I might get lucky on the outbound AA-operated flights?
I can't tell you exactly why/how it worked, but I had BE on ORD ->(AA metal) LHR -> XXX and XXX -> LRH ->(BA metal) ORD, all booked through BA and used my AA account (platinum).

For the ORD -> LHR leg I was able to pick seats (but not MCE) either at booking or slightly afterward on AA (can't remember which exactly now)
For the LRH -> ORD leg I was not able to pick seats until check-in.

I'm honestly not sure why/how I got seats on the first leg that was AA operated, but it was very helpful.