FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 weeks in Germany
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:55 am
Askartus

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
My (totally biased) suggestion:
I would start with 3 days in Berlin to do some sightseeing. Enjoy the Museumsinsel (Pergamonmuseum, Nationalgalerie, Bode-Museum, etc.) and maybe the "Dokumentationszentrum Berliner Mauer", an exhibition about the Berlin wall. See the Reichstag, the Brandenburger Tor and all the other "must-see"-Spots.

Then I would suggest to go to Cologne by train (take the direct ICE, 4:20 hours) and stay in Cologne for 3-4 days. Cologne itself has the "Kölner Dom" (cathedral), a couple of art museums (Museum Ludwig, Wallraf-Richartz Museum). Do see the "Römisch-Germanisches Museum", an history museum about the romano-germanic history of Cologne. And much more.
Some ideas for trips from Cologne include Bonn (capital from 1949 - 1990) for the history of the recent period (i.e. the "Haus der Geschichte" - the House of the History or the Beethoven House) or a trip to Ruhrgebiet to learn about the mining history there and how it has changed the area (i.e. "Zeche Zollverein" in Essen or the "Deutsches Bergbau-Museum", the mining museum in Bochum).
In Cologne enjoy the local beer house culture with a "Kölsch", the only language you can drink as well. Or more. Or an "Alt" if you dare to order ... ;-)
If you need more information about Cologne, feel free to contact me.

After that take an direct IC train to Heidelberg (2:40 hours). Heidelberg is a nice town with a small but good preserved middle age old town. And as a bonus: The IC trains from Cologne to Stuttgart are going through the UNESCO world heritage middle rhine valley. Another option would be Mainz or Stuttgart. In Heidelberg, stroll though the city (Castle, Old Town, The Philosopher's Way) or go on a tour along the Neckar area. Stay here for 2 nights.

Then off to Munich (3 hours by IC train from Heidelberg, change trains in Stuttgart).
In Munich there is also a lot to see: Frauenkirche, "Englischer Garten", Nymphenburg Palace, Deutsches Museum, BMW museum, Olympic Park (from 1974).
Another idea might be to do some side trips, for example to Bamberg (beer, history) or Nürnberg / Nurmberg (history, beer). You may see my bias.
Or go to Garmisch-Patenkirchen to get on the top of Germany highest mountain with 2962 meter: The Zugspitze.

Personally I would stay in Bamberg or Nürnberg for at least one night, because I do like to taste local beers and would not want to go back after a nice evening with beer and food. But that's up to you. The trains from Munich to Bamberg take 1:45 (direct ICE, 2 hours with change of trains). Trains to Nürnberg take 1 hour (direct ICE) and trains to Garmisch-Patenkirchen take 1:30 (regional train).

Last edited by Askartus; Dec 14, 2019 at 10:19 am