FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Spirit tickets at the airport (changes)
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:12 pm
jjbiv

Originally Posted by jebr
They said it was a training issue, but wouldn't elaborate further. I'd probably consider filing a DOT complaint if it continues, as they made it sound like it was a one-off issue. More reports could build a case that it's not a one-off issue.
I'm not sure I believe its training related. I bought tickets in Denver in October and the savings vs. the website was $5 per passenger each way. It was still a good deal since these were super cheap $33 tickets so the online percentage discount promo codes would not have applied.

I think what Spirit is doing is waiving the fuel charge when you purchase online but not at the ticket counter. It's a pretty ingenious strategy for them to have their cake and eat it too. If you buy online they charge the passenger usage fee and if you buy at the ticket counter they charge the fuel charge, neither of which is subject to the federal airfare excise tax, and they also don't have to give up the revenue associated with the passenger usage fee if you purchase at the airport.