FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was I Screwed By Qantas?
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:09 pm
rbwpi

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by nancypants
as always, much appreciated

forgive me I may not be following here- did QF charge you a further 20k miles? Did they actively cancel you off the DRW-PER flights? I suspect the person at the desk doing this rebooking wasn’t aware of the intricacies of the AAdvantage scheme as relates to QF and thus wasn’t best placed to advise you (you did pay with AAdvantage miles right?)

my only experience with rerouting to skip a destination (MEL-CBR-BNE became MEL-BNE) was on a cash ticket, I was rerouted but was not refunded the cost of CBR-BNE even though the rerouting was cheaper. I did get ORC but of course that doesn’t apply with award tickets

if this was me I would be pursuing AA for the points refund. Qantas don’t exactly trade in AA points so seems like they wouldn’t have any vested interest in keeping them, but may have charged AA cash for the reservation and therefore AA are reluctant to refund?
The flights were booked with AAdvantage miles. 80,000 for PDX-LAX-BNE-DRW and 20,000 for DRW-PER. QANTAS did cancel the DRW-PER flight. QANTAS did not charge me an additional 20,000 miles, total cost was 100,000 miles. I did contact AA for a points refund. While on the phone they contacted QANTAS. AA then related QANTAS position which I described in my OP. AA indicated that they could not provide a refund of the 20,000 miles. My only recourse appears to be filing a small claims suit, against AA, for the value of the miles.