FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:38 am
christianj

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I hope they don't go down this route. I like the CSR because it's easy. I don't need it to offer status, I don't need it to offer a monthly credit for something that I don't use every month. I don't need them to compete against card that have a much larger annual fee. If I wanted an AmEx card I'd get an AmEx card.
I agree BUT your last sentence is the key point! Evidently people want an AMEX card since it offers those benefits and that is hurting Chase. IMHO it is not the monthly dining credit that is pushing people to AMEX but a combination of the higher points earning potential AND the credits.

Just as a comparison:
1. CSR and AMEX Gold both essentially cost the cardholder $150 a year if you can take advantage of the travel credits (AMEX is harder to use with recent changes.)
2. CSR and AMEX Gold both give you credits...Gold up to $120 for dining and CSR $100 for Global Entry/PreCheck - Here Gold has a slight advantage since it can be up to $120 per year but with CSR you only take advantage of the credit in years you have to actually pay a fee.
3. When it comes to earnings on spend, I think AMEX is the winner here with +1 for dining, +3 at supermarkets

I got the CSR when it first became available and added the AMEX Gold when the updated the benefits. Right now both cards work for me and I typically use CSR for travel and AMEX Gold for restaurants and supermarkets. Another reason I keep both is I like to diversify my points balances. IF CSR raises their fee and adds some credits I might be able to take advantage of or not, I will seriously consider dropping the CSR and downgrading to the CS card. Why? I can't totally be out because I have a Chase FU that I use as my everyday card. I think a fee increase on the CSR would be the nail in the coffin for the card for a lot of people.