FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Merchants Reach Credit Card Surcharge Rights Agreement [Effective 1.27.2013]
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:19 pm
rasheed

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I believe the Apple/Samsung/Google pay charge is not at the acquirer level in the US, but handled by Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover directly. It is supposed to be tested to a lower fraud rate (ROI). The volume has been so low, I have no idea how that will turn out though.

If a card actually gives elite benefits, I understand the layers. Apple Card is one of the worst not just because it has limited extra rewards options, but they removed almost all of the insurance benefits that the issuer would otherwise need to pay for from the merchant fee. It does appear in the US that the power is with the banks and acquirers - the networks are just signing off on whatever those entities want. I believe it was required at some point for the physical card to indicate the level (which could theoretically be used to discriminate card level acceptance, which is now allowed in the US), but again, Apple Card was able to remove that level print (WE or related) on the physical card. It probably was meaningless anyway because the mobile apps don't show it anyway (going back to the HK hesitancy).

I still feel merchants could do a lot more to create a compelling reason to not use traditional network cards that doesn't have to be only about discounts. I think there are many more soft benefits and loyalty ways that companies could better align with those why use alternative payment methods. Some have done it (RedCard, co-branded cards at Kohls and Gap Family, etc.), but most are afraid of losing customers.

I am still looking for some big moves in this space. Apple Card was really in the opposite direction. A so-so product that consumers widely adopted which didn't enhance the merchant or consumer experience. I am sure traditional US issuers are again confused why hype exceeded functionality or benefits.