FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:06 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Maybe this is why upgrades have become impossible now...

I checked into a Fairfield on the east coast today. The first room assigned to me reeked of smoke (I think someone in the room next door, adjoining, was smoking). Back to the lobby and the FDA tells me there are no more of my room type on the top floor. She types away for a while and then tells me she can upgrade me to one of the larger rooms. The conversation then goes something like this:

Me: "So do Titaniums no longer get automatic upgrades?"
FDA: "Oh, not really. I just finished training and the training says not to provide upgrades unless the guest asks for it and we have a room available at the moment they check-in. Also, we're kind of told to upgrade the guest only when they are clearly pushing for it."

Wait, what? Not trained on it? I didn't press to see if this is a property-specific issue but since the FDA was new I don't think she'd know.

I guess I have to go back to asking for an upgrade each and every time. Gone are the days of getting upgrades in advance of arrival by the room assigner in the morning.

-RM
I have found this too. When I ask I seem to get an upgrade. But amazingly wasn't offered it prior to asking. Sort of like, it's not standard practice at all hotels. That said, some hotels still do it in advance, so it's not a chain-wide thing. For example, Westin LA upgraded in advance and thanked for loyalty while SLS Beverly Hills required me to ask and was given suite immediately thereafter. Already had keys in my hand to a standard room though... asked just as I was walking away from desk.

At least SNA cleared this week... nice to see that working/clearing. Fingers crossed next SNA clears and I'll actually burn all SNAs this year (which will be quite the feat)