FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ins and Outs of renting a car in England, need advice.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:10 am
AlienInTheFatherland

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stut
I also get annual CDW cover, and generally find it is accepted. That doesn't stop some rental companies trying to convince me to buy CDW because "the claims process is easier". These guys are on commission - and Europcar seems to be the worst offender (not that it stops me going there, I know the dance).
Agree that annual excess recovery insurance policy is the best route nowadays. I pay € 90 per year and can recover up to € 3.000.

stut is right that 1) all agents will try and flog you something extra because they are on commission and 2) that the agents are right in saying that the claims process would be easier with them, since the rental company would deduct from you, then you would have to reclaim. This is just a matter of longer process.

I had a seriously damaged Europcar rental when a tractor/trailer smashed the side of the car in Scotland last year - ended up being debited with the excess of GBP 1.400 but refunded by Europcar before my insurer had managed to complete recovery proceedings because the (guilty) third-party insurance paid up to Europcar.