FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Threatened with denied boarding at PTY due to missing bag
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:51 pm
Anthony

Threatened with denied boarding at PTY due to missing bag

Ticketed with AA on following itinerary

BOG -> PTY -> MIA -> LHR

First sector from BOG was on Avianca, all subsequent with AA. At checkin in BOG was given luggage tag showing bag tagged through to LHR and advised no need to collect at any intermediate points. Agent tagged luggage with Red ITI tag.

Arrived PTY and confirmed with local AV staff no need to collect bag etc and connected airside to AA flight to PTY (6 hour layover between these).

After boarding started at PTY, gate agent had just called group 6 for boarding when my name was called and asked to present at the desk.

Presented and agent informed me that they had not received my bag from Avianca and accordingly would deny boarding since I didn't have my bag.

Protested to a supervisor that a missed bag wasn't a valid reason for denial of boarding, requested assistance and asked why they had waited until 15 mins pre departure to raise this when I'd been in terminal for 6 hours.

Remaining passengers boarded, doors closed. Supervisor insistent that I would have to retrieve my bag and then travel standby on the remainder of my itinerary.

As you may imagine, not impressed with this suggestion. After a while, another one of the gate agents informed me that I should contact a particular email address and request my bag be sent on. I was warned NOT to file a baggage irregularity report, otherwise he would refuse to send my bag on. ...?

If I complied with this, then I would be permitted to board. I said yes, got the email and rushed down the jetway to be the last person onboard.

Now bag snafus happen, I get that. But I'm not impressed that AA left it til the last minute to raise the issue and then only permitted me to board if I agreed not to file a baggage report?

What kind of shady crap is that and what is the actual position on pax knowingly continuing a trip sans checked luggage?