FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting substitution of 744 instead of 787 on BA279 [LHR-SJC]
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:33 pm
spgaston

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by orbitmic
No, with ba an equipment change does not give a right to a change of flight, let alone routing or destination. The refund of the seat fees is the correct answer unfortunately. You can always hope for a later significant timetable change later which would open more rights.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Having said that, I would say that if travelling in World Traveller you may well be better of on the 747. It's down as a SuperJ version:
14F86J30W145Y | The BA Source

and what you could look at are the pair of seats at the back. This is due to the curvature of the aircraft and if you are in, for example, 52A there is quite a bit of leg room along the port side of the fuselage. The seats are also wider than the 787. Much more information in the Seating Queries thread for 747s in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Thanks for the advice. I have been researching seating on the SuperJ 747 for hours. The back pairs 52/53 do have the extra room on the side, but it seems as if I would need to sit sideways for 12 hours, horrifically angling my legs between my metal window-side arm rest and the torture of the metal seat frame in front. I saw some picture of a short person doing that and it looked potentially doable for someone under 6'0", but not 6'8". I am physically unable to sit knees forward in any non-exit/bulkhead seat in economy. Also there are three of us traveling together.

Do you think I could convince BA to unblock bulkhead seats in row 39/40 given the circumstances? I know the foot room is bad but I need the knee room and it is a day flight and I can sit in the aisle seat and let my shorter companions sit in the window/middle.

Or - would they let me split my ticket from itinerary and pay to upgrade to WTP and waive $275 change fee?