FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis/Budget “Do Not Rent List” Help!
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:44 pm
storewanderer

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I assumed that franchise locations got reimbursed for coupons/point redemptions/etc, similar to when a franchise restaurant accepts a gift card and is reimbursed by corporate for it.

The whole situation is very odd. Especially that a local franchise would be hurt so much by the coupons that they'd throw someone on the DNR list, especially someone who obviously works for a corporation that rents enough to get stacks of coupons and would (presumably) have a contact at corporate to reach out to when a location overreaches. I know we've only heard one side, but if this is true, I'd hope Avis takes firm action against the franchise.
Agency locations are not the same thing as a franchise location.

Not sure how it works with franchise locations.

Agency locations get a commission as a percentage of the base rental rate. Agency locations do not control their pricing, the corporate Avis system does that. Coupons reduce the base rate, therefore reducing the commission to the agent. The agent is paying the money for the labor to clean the cars and of course paying themselves and their employees if they have any to be in the location. The real estate of the location and the fleet of vehicles and computer system provided is all by Avis Corporate.

Franchise locations are a different ball game entirely.