FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:20 am
ExplorerWannabe

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
You flew F roundtrip DEN_HNL_DEN for a total price of under 1K? On a publicly-available fare? Amazing.
Originally Posted by findark
I took it as DEN-HNL in Y and HNL-DEN in F. That's not too hard for under $1k.
findark is correct -- Home-DEN-HNL in Y, HNL-DEN-Home in F. I saw no point in paying another $400 for F going west, LAX-HNL in Y just doesn't bother me. My point is just that Y 40 years ago was different because flying was different in general but so were the costs.

Originally Posted by findark
Part of what I see in dress isn't "level of formality" per se.. it's hard for me to describe but the clothing is just part of the whole attitude of "this is going to be my most miserable day of the year, and this is what I will wear for that". I mentioned I flew somewhere and people's reaction is "oh, I'm sorry you had to do that". Etc, etc.
Agreed but except in Hawaii and Guam (where semi-formal can mean you have a NEW tee-shirt and shorts), people dressing in tee shirt, shorts, and flip-flops is short-form for their attitude. Flying is nothing special anymore so they don't do anything special for it. If you're willing to pay equivalent prices to flying Coach in the 1970s, you can have a similar or better experience by flying F or J today.