FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:21 am
wpcoe
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 5khours
Not economics. The union killed the position. I knew quite a few of the ISRs. Both NW and UA had them. They were hated by the U.S. based
FAs because they were non-union and replaced some of the regular FA positions on the most popular routes.
They absolutely were NOT part of the crew complement; they NEVER replaced a F/A. If a flight called for 15 F/As and there were 14 F/As + the ISR, the F/As got understaffing pay and worked with only 14 bodies. The union did NOT kill the position. The union *did* insist that the F/A contract Scope Clause be heeded and that the ISRs could do *no* F/A responsibilities. The ISRs you knew told you a bit of revisionist history.

Originally Posted by seat38a
Wait, but I thought they were not FA's. Wouldn't NW and UA still have to have the same legal number of FA's regardless of the ISR's?
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by seat38a
Ok so ISR's were trained as the FA's like to say "For Your Safety," and were certified to help in evacuations, but it was just union rules that prevented them from serving drinks. If that is the case, why were the Unions against the ISR's? Just make them union dues paying FA's who wore Kimonos and be done with it.
No, they were not FAA certified, though they did have training and knew how to evacuate. The union was *not* against the ISRs

Originally Posted by 5khours
They were all Tokyo based Japanese nationals who didn't want to be unionized. So the union got them fired instead.
The. Union. Did. Not. Get. Them. Fired. Sheesh.

For those that have not followed my posts over the years. I'm a retired United F/A. I worked solely international routes since 1986 (Pac Day,) and was an active union member (I was Grievance and Scheduling trained) and spent many hours working in AFA offices. I undoubtedly knew more ISRs than @5khours .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2019 at 4:53 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member