FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:20 pm
nacho
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by icanneverflyenough
i have less of a problem with resort fees at a genuine resort if you get something for it. but obviously we all know that most of them are complete scams just like the green choice initiative.

in hawaii the labor costs are so high that the resort fee is necessary to get additional revenue. at some of the waikiki resorts you cant even take advantage of everything supposedly included in the resort fee because it isnt available. like the westin that says you get a go pro camera but you have to go to their sister hotel to claim it. well you get there and the sheraton has run out of the go pro cameras. or the cultural lesson is either early in the morning when you're asleep or it's at sunset when you're drinking or ahving dinner.
By the way the labour cost here in Scandinavia is really high too and all prices here are all in, i.e. if it's DKK 1500 then you are paying DKK 1500 at check out, not like DKK 1500 + local tourism fee + tax. I'd much rather have a clear pricing - why can't hotels pricing like the airlines?

Originally Posted by MimiB22
These fees are ridiculous. The whole purpose is enriching the bottom line and hoodwinking potential guests into thinking they've got a better room rate than the hotels charging an all inclusive rate. As others have pointed out, they may also be a way to cheat frequent stay members out of points or make them pay the fees for what should be a free room.

There are several consumer groups working with state AG's to implement the requirement that all extra add on fees be disclosed prior to booking and on booking websites. The idea is that everyone will be aware of true costs for a stay and be able to make choices of where to book. However, most of us realize the fees won't go away, even if disclosed and we'll have to pay. But at least we pay without unpleasant budget busting surprises.
I'm against those "tourism fee or "Kurtaxe" in Germany (just because there's a spring that is in the city and they think you are definitely going to use it) bla bla bla - put those crap into the total amount! IHG actually included those fees in their hotels in Europe (I haven't stayed at their hotels with fees in the US).

Some of those resort fees are pure non-sense, 2 bottle of water and local calls and internet? I have my phone so I don't need free local calls and internet, for $15 I can buy water enough for a shower.