FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choices for Southern Africa
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:42 am
cheltzel

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by johan rebel
To each his own, but I'm not sure what age has got to do with anything?

Game viewing is hardly a physically taxing activity, and can be enjoyed by persons of any age, including children and the aged, just like food, wine and sunshine. Although good eyesight is an advantage, the infirmities and frailty that may come with old age should not stand in the way of a safari. Nor are physical disabilities necessarily an insurmountable obstacle. People in wheelchairs go on game drives, and Berg en Dal in the Kruger National Park even has a walking trail for the blind.

As for the grass, it may indeed well be high in summer, depending on rainfall. Precipitation varies considerably from year to year and from place to place. In addition, rain affects the distribution and concentration of animals. So I you want to see lots of animals in a short period of time, January and February may not be your best bet.

Johan
+1 Johan

Our last trip was 3 months short of my 70th birthday. I had a blast!! Now after some serious back surgery about 7 months prior to the trip, I had to spend most of my game drives sitting next to the ranger as the bumpiness of sitting 6+hours a day further up caused a little soreness and discomfort. But otherwise, it was totally pleasant.

We are already planning our next trip which will be when I am over 71 years old and I expect no issues whatsoever. And I want to agree with the previous poster in thanking you for your constant high quality posting here. This makes a really positive contribution in the forum.