FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wasting a Category 1-7 Certificate
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:43 am
Matt4200

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Wasting a Category 1-7 Certificate

I have a Cat 1-7 Certificate that will expire in early May. Between now and then I honestly don’t plan to be in any areas where I’d find it to be of much use. I would really have to go out of my way to use it.

I would love to use it at Ventana Big Sur, and I will be in SoCal but from anywhere I am it would be at least a 4 hour drive there and 4 Hours back. So as much as I know it would be an amazing experience, at the same time it’s just not practical.

I may be in Chicago but when I’m there I would have to switch hotels (while with SO and our toddler) just for 1 night to use it so that’s not practical either, as nice as PH Chicago is

I will be going to Andaz Papagayo in April and I’ve already paid for the trip in points. I’m actually considering swapping either the 1st or last night out of the stay to use the Cat 1-7 for that and keep the 20k points.

Using a Cat 1-7 on a Cat 5 is just wrong, I really wish they had a 12 month expiration so I could use it over the summer!

I mean something may come up, but it’s pretty unlikely (95%) that it would be convenient to use it.

What are people’s thoughts on this?