FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ba 217 lhr-iad cw
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:27 pm
CKBA

Programs: BA Gold
Having take the 217 on Thursday...

Originally Posted by enviroian
1. The aircraft was quiet and despite the size boarding was efficient. This was my first time on the airbus 380.
Boarding at LHR seems somewhat better organised than at IAD -but still quick and efficient both boarding and disembarking.

2. The flight crew were excellent. They came and asked me what I needed and were professional and attentive.
As always... .

3. The seat. Well to be honest I found the lay flat seat very comfortable and liked that it was roomy around my shoulders. The length was fine and my 6’1” frame had no problem. The IFE content was also solid and the screen tilted down. There was a duffle bag of three sheets but I only used the blanket and pillow. I was very comfortable and slept for 3 hours.
I find the suite very private and with the privacy screen up its really your own private space. Much more private than AA’s seats even taking into account there is someone facing you. I found this initially awkward as I wasn’t sure who should hit the up screen button first.
I tend to find the CW seats a tad short - I'm 6'3 so can't fully stretch out so tend to have to be more reclined than flat! For couples I find the layout ideal - and for families also (2+2 in the centre 4 is great). Even if travelling alone getting to know your 'opposite' can be interesting!

4. Regrettably the food was so bad I left the flight famished...
Your experience does sound bad - given that it was ex-LHR. Not sure why you had the snack mix (thought this was WT+) - I had nuts - not really warmed though, and were somewhat soft. The starter I had was good (Severn/Wye salmon) followed by the Turkey (substitute for the trout :-( ). My daughter did have the curry -and like you found the rice a bit crunchy around the edge. My first choice of the chocolate and caramel slice (or whatever) had been substituted with pumpkin pie - not a great fan, and no cheese+biscuits available, but the apple and cinnamon sponge was good. Pre-arrival I just had the scone/jam/cream, although have had the sandwiches in the past.

5. Although it’s widely known that BA’s soft product is subpar I was really surprised it was that bad.
6. I thought the hard product compares to anything AA has, at least with this aircraft type.
I must admit I've never flown AA LH in business, but I prefer the BA layout - despite the having step over your neighbouring passenger if in an 'internal' seat. Foodwise, I've never had a problem, although my standards are perhaps set rather low - I've had some great food (salmon salad, beef cheek...) and a few mediocre ones.