FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Question Luggage: CPH-ZRH (Swiss Air), Zurich-Zermatt (Swiss Rail)
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:11 am
SFOrunner

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Luggage: CPH-ZRH (Swiss Air), Zurich-Zermatt (Swiss Rail)

Looking for guidance or advice on traveling with luggage to and from Zurich next year. We are flying from Copenhagen to Zurich, and then planning on taking the train from Zurich to Zermatt. We will each have two (2) checked bags, including a ski bag each. Four (4) bags total: two (2) suitcases and two (2) ski boot bags. My understanding is that our fare class on Swiss Air includes one (1) free checked bag, and that our ski baggage is also free. I have also read that Swiss Air can check our baggage all the way to Zermatt through their partnership with CBB (Swiss Rail)

Travel Details
Travelers - Two (2). I am Star Alliance Gold and my companion is Star Alliance Silver
Date - Thursday 02/01/2020 09:40 CPH - 11:35 ZRH via LX 1267
Fare - Classic K

My assumption is that when we get to CPH, we will inform the Swiss Air agent that we are traveling to Zermatt via Rail, and they will arrange for our bags to be checked / interlined from CPH-ZRH-Zermatt.

Questions
  • Do we need to show our train tickets to the Swiss Air agent when we check our bags in CPH?
  • Do we need to purchase anything in advance?
  • I have read that the bags require green plastic covers to go through customs. Does this happen at the airport?
  • We land ZRH at 11:35 AM, and plan to leave on a 1:35 PM train - is two hours sufficient?
  • Anything else we should know or plan for?
Thank you!